Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

The annual Way to early but not really 2021 Draft Thread!

I would love for Detroit to consider the following possibility:

Trade Stafford to Jets for their R1.

Trade with Jax to move up to #1 overall and draft Trevor Lawrence.

What would Detroit need to give up to make that work? Not as much as one might think. Jets have been a rumored option for Stafford and Meyer might actually prefer Fields...so you could sit at #2 and wait for Jax to draft TL then offer to trade for him.

Sell the farm if necessary, but I do not think it requires THAT much to go after TL.

Maybe Lions give up a R2? Maybe they can get that back in a Golladay trade.

If doing a complete rebuild, then go after the #1 stud QB. It is a potential option if Detroit gets aggressive.

No way Urban Meyer prefers fields over Lawrence.

No way Urban Meyer prefers fields over Lawrence.

Fields fits his style of offense more than TL. Fields outplayed TL during their game. Fields having been in the OSU offense that Meyer had initiated means he would quickly pick up what Meyer throws at him.

If Fields has a solid Combine and interviews, why is it so hard to think Meyer would be willing to take Fields plus add an extra pick or two to help flip the team to be what he wants?

TL is a better fit for the Lions than Fields and Fields fits Meyer's style of offense better, IMO.

I see it as not far fetched, something Meyer would actually find agreeable.

I wish we had more draft pick.

FA becomes more important when we have fewer picks. Problem for Lions is...who wants to come to Detroit and lose?

Go after TL and I think you can attract the FAs who do not sign with other teams prior to Draft, holding out for something better...probably still have to pay a premium for some of those guys but if you demonstrate that level of aggressiveness toward winning, I think it speaks to the Lions going in a new direction. Especially any WRs still available...they would likely appreciate the opportunity to be on a team with the new stud QB that everyone projects to be a playoff caliber QB sooner than later.

FA becomes more important when we have fewer picks. Problem for Lions is...who wants to come to Detroit and lose?

Go after TL and I think you can attract the FAs who do not sign with other teams prior to Draft, holding out for something better...probably still have to pay a premium for some of those guys but if you demonstrate that level of aggressiveness toward winning, I think it speaks to the Lions going in a new direction. Especially any WRs still available...they would likely appreciate the opportunity to be on a team with the new stud QB that everyone projects to be a playoff caliber QB sooner than later.

Itd be one of those trade your entire draft for Ricky Williams scenerios. We only have 5 picks to start with so itd be difficult. Not to mention were rebuilding in a year where the cap is going to go down. Draft picks will mean a lot over the next couple years because they are cheaper. New CBA is about to ruin a lot of teams' pocketbooks lol.

Id keep all the picks you can, move down when you can to gain additional picks. Grab a qb at 7 or if all 4 top qbs are gone see what you get for stafford and make a move for Mac Jones in the middle of round 1.

Or tell stafford to fuck off and keep him if you try to trade him and no one wants to pony up.

Last edited:

Maybe with the new management others might come here.

Itd be one of those trade your entire draft for Ricky Williams scenerios. We only have 5 picks to start with so itd be difficult. Not to mention were rebuilding in a year where the cap is going to go down. Draft picks will mean a lot over the next couple years because they are cheaper. New CBA is about to ruin a lot of teams' pocketbooks lol.

Id keep all the picks you can, move down when you can to gain additional picks. Grab a qb at 7 or if all 4 top qbs are gone see what you get for stafford and make a move for Mac Jones in the middle of round 1.

Or tell stafford to fuck off and keep him if you try to trade him and no one wants to pony up.

IF...and I admit it is a HUGE IF...Jets trade their R1 for Stafford...and maybe that is all they get for him...it should not cost much more than the #2 plus #7 picks to move up to #1. Maybe toss in a 2022 R4 pick.

Lions would move up to having #1 pick and having same number of picks as before. They get TL and build from there. Considering Stafford is worth more than an R1 pick, Jets should jump at that. Considering Jax would get Fields at #2 and still have the #7 pick.

Anyone saying they hate that hypothetical scenario is being silly.

The challenge is that the Jets seem ok with Darnold, or at least are playing a game of smoke and mirrors to get more value with #2 pick.

Heck, one could argue there is a small chance that the #2 through #6 teams believe they want to stick with their current QB. If Meyer does go with Fields at #1, Lions could luck into getting TL at #7. Of course that would require a greater amount of Good Luck than all the past 60 years of Bad Luck combined...but I digress.

All of it hinges on Meyer feeling Fields is a solid option for him, but I cannot imagine Meyer believing he could not succeed with Fields.

IF...and I admit it is a HUGE IF...Jets trade their R1 for Stafford...and maybe that is all they get for him...it should not cost much more than the #2 plus #7 picks to move up to #1. Maybe toss in a 2022 R4 pick.

Lions would move up to having #1 pick and having same number of picks as before. They get TL and build from there. Considering Stafford is worth more than an R1 pick, Jets should jump at that. Considering Jax would get Fields at #2 and still have the #7 pick.

The challenge is that the Jets seem ok with Darnold, or at least are playing a game of smoke and mirrors to get more value with #2 pick.

Heck, one could argue there is a small chance that the #2 through #6 teams believe they want to stick with their current QB. If Meyer does go with Fields at #1, Lions could luck into getting TL at #7. Of course that would require a greater amount of Good Luck than all the past 60 years of Bad Luck combined...but I digress.

All of it hinges on Meyer feeling Fields is a solid option for him, but I cannot imagine Meyer believing he could not succeed with Fields.

Why would they want a 33 year old over a college kid?

When building a young team, you need some quality veteran leadership in the right places to help develop the young talent. If everyone on the team is young, there are no veterans able to be an On Field Coach.

Because guys like Stafford are a lot rarer than a so-called phenom college QB, who will be there every year. And the Jets? luck with drafting QBs since even going back to Richard Todd has been shaky. Pennington, O?Brien, and Blake are the other marginally successful QBs the Jets have drafted besides Namath.

They have had some real disasters: Hackenberg, Nagle, Smith, Sanchez, Petty, Clemens ... I mean ... it?s Lionesque.

If you say so. He might have an arm but Matt's stats say he's average. I'd go with an unknown. .

I really don't know why the Jets would even consider Matt. They are just as shitty as the Lions. They have the #2 overall pick in the draft. They can draft any QB they want besides Lawrence, or they can probably get a good haul for the #2 overall pick. That's what I would do if I were the Jets. Trade #2 to somebody that is desperate for a QB and slide down and add picks. Hell, Darnold might be nearly as good as Matt with decent coaching.

Youre talking fair market value. Which is fine. But if youre the jags you just put all your chips in on trevor lawrence #tank4trevor then your first move as HC is to trade out of that spot? Hed be fired on the spot. Its not going to happen....hes already in the media gushing over TL.

I really don't know why the Jets would even consider Matt. They are just as shitty as the Lions. They have the #2 overall pick in the draft. They can draft any QB they want besides Lawrence, or they can probably get a good haul for the #2 overall pick. That's what I would do if I were the Jets. Trade #2 to somebody that is desperate for a QB and slide down and add picks. Hell, Darnold might be nearly as good as Matt with decent coaching.

There are many different ways this could happen. Let's examine your "Jets trade down" option. Teams with the 3-6 picks seem set at QB, so the highest return for the trade down would come from Lions who pick 7. If you are the Jets, you do not want to drop too far down IMO, so maybe trading spots with Lions is possible. What do Lions give up in return? Maybe offer Golladay in trade? If they roll with Darnold, they could use a WR and maybe they would be good with Golladay in the trade. Lions should be.

Many different ways all this could play out, including every team stays exactly where they are and no trades happen. Just exploring this option and others. Until FAs are signed, we know little about what each team's areas of need will be. Lions might pick up a QB in FA for all we know.

The guys i love in this draft:
Micah parsons lb 1
Zaven collins lb 1
Jabril Cox lb 3
Andre Cisco S 2/3
Trevon moehrig S 2
Azeez ojulari DE 1
Zach wilson QB 1
Jaylen waddle WR 1
Carlos Basham DE 2...reminds me of a young griffen

Saleh seems to want to give Sam Darnold a chance so they might not be drafting a QB. Trade Matt to Miami at 3, and grab Zack Wilson. That would be my fantasy draft. But the way GM work with former teams he's probably screw it up and send Matt to LA. They need a 1st for this season trading Matt.

Last edited:
Need to hope a team needs a qb at 7. Trade down and target zaven collins in rd 1 and WR and S in rd 2.

I want Parsons with the first pick but here is a mock I did that I really like despite Parsons being gone at 7

Round 1 Pick 7: JaMarr Chase, WR, LSU (A)
Round 2 Pick 9: Quincy Roche, DE/OLB, Miami (A+)
Round 3 Pick 8: Baron Browning, ILB/OLB, Ohio State (A)
Round 3 Pick 24: Charles Snowden, DE/OLB, Virginia (A+)
Round 4 Pick 7: Amari Rodgers, WR, Clemson (A+)
Round 5 Pick 9: Divine Deablo, FS/SS, Virginia Tech (A+)

I know we need a WR but the first pick should be a DE or LB. Someone in this organization has to finally realize the defense needs work.

Back