Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Tigers 2022 Off Season for FA signings, trades, tender, nontender, Rule 5, to 2023

It's his first year here Debbie Downer

His first year but we've been rebuilding awhile. Why do all new GM here want to start over instead of winning right away. Why does he need to to evaluate.. look at tape.

Last edited:
I don't know what a couple of you posters want with the new guy Scott Harris? He is coming into a fucking dinosaur, with the way the team was run with so many parts to update to the 21st century.

He has replaced the stiffs in the minor leagues coaching and managers, Updated player development in the minors and majors, No more 400 pound strength and conditioning Doug Teter to get them into condition when he is busy planning his own next 30 course meal,

He has brought in many moving parts to get all the info of analytics to the coaching staff here in Detroit and when was the last time we had that many coaches on a Tigers team?

Right now, none of these trades are flashy, they are adding depth with the kinds of players we have wanted for years, which is to swing within the strike zone, work the count, take walks, the only caveat we have is there are no big names. so give him time to see who shakes out along with the pitching, I am sure we will be contending by 2024 or 2025.

You have to have patience after such a fucking mess and cluster fuck from Avila and his media goons writing glowing reports about his signings and trades which most all of them sucked.

He can add those types of players and still add free agents that fit that mold as well. I was commenting on the article that you posted that said there is a huge lack of depth. If you sign some free agent players, doesn't that improve the ML roster while adding depth?

He can add those types of players and still add free agents that fit that mold as well. I was commenting on the article that you posted that said there is a huge lack of depth. If you sign some free agent players, doesn't that improve the ML roster while adding depth?

I think they want to build from the ground up with the type of players they want in the system, from the bottom minor leagues to the Tigers. Once they feel confident then they will look to add a player or two from FA. just my opinion.

I think they want to build from the ground up with the type of players they want in the system, from the bottom minor leagues to the Tigers. Once they feel confident then they will look to add a player or two from FA. just my opinion.

I agree that is what they are doing. My only point is they could add a few free agents at the same time. Adding to the ML team helps depth at the lower levels. Going into the season with huge question marks at so many positions is not a good plan.

I'm kind of looking at it as Meadows and E Rod being additions this year. Plus the 2nd year for Tork, Greene and Carpenter. Getting a breakout from 1 of them wouldn't be a shock. Add in Baez and Schoop coming off their worst offensive seasons ever. I can't imagine they both repeat the dud season at the plate again.

Hell, just upgrading the Castros and Reyes is enough for me to get excited that this team is moving in the right direction.

https://totallytigers.wordpress.com/2023/01/28/deeper-discussions-59/
DEEPER DISCUSSIONS.
Totally Tigers

Earlier this month, the Tigers traded Gregory Soto (and Kody Clemens) for 3 players. Soto, while a hard-thrower, had troubles with his command. His walk rate was very close to his strikeout rate. And he does not fit Scott Harris? mantra of controlling the strike zone.

He lost 11 games for the Tigers last year and his stats were starting to trend downward. His ERA was 3.28 and his WHIP was 1.38.

For a team that desperately needs an infusion of new talent, the only viable players the Tigers had who were tradable (other than top farm system prospects and Riley Greene) were pitchers.

The Tigers now will have to find a new closer.

Did they make the right move by trading Soto? Or will he be missed?

Are there better options within the Tigers organization?

Or, because the Tigers are thought to struggle again this coming season, how important is a closer anyway? Is a consistent closer considered to be a luxury for a team that is rarely in it towards the end of the game?

What do you think?

Today?s blog addresses this dilemma and allows readers to share their thoughts in more detail. And hopefully, to actively engage with others by responding to their posts and creating back-and-forth discussion threads. The more the merrier!

For this one blog only, you?ve got 6 sentences max to share your thoughts.
Of course, you can respond to as many other readers as you want.

TT will supply the ammunition. One thought-provoking question. Several options provided. One hard choice to be selected. One vote.
Ready?

Will the Tigers miss Gregory Soto?

1. Yes

2. No

VOTE

The Tigers lost 4 relievers that pitched a lot of innings. Soto, Chafin, Fulmer, & Jimenez. They pitched about 214 innings, era around 3.10 and a WHIP around 1.25

The total inning pitched by relievers was 617 innings. They lost over 1/3 of their relief innings pitched. That's a lot to replace.

The Tigers lost 4 relievers that pitched a lot of innings. Soto, Chafin, Fulmer, & Jimenez. They pitched about 214 innings, era around 3.10 and a WHIP around 1.25

The total inning pitched by relievers was 617 innings. They lost over 1/3 of their relief innings pitched. That's a lot to replace.

I'm not too worried about the bullpen. Until we develop a somewhat consistent offense, they'll just be pitching mostly meaningless innings anyway.

I'm not too worried about the bullpen. Until we develop a somewhat consistent offense, they'll just be pitching mostly meaningless innings anyway.

So we lost a BP and didn't pick up an offense. 2 for 2.

So we lost a BP and didn't pick up an offense. 2 for 2.

I guarantee the offense will be better. Just have to see how much better. I obviously don't expect to break any records, but I fully expect a few of these kids to take a step forward and I also don't expect every single vet to have their career worst year again. We didn't have a single every day starter with an OPS near .700. I fully believe a lot of that was on Coolbaugh who is now gone.

I guarantee the offense will be better. Just have to see how much better. I obviously don't expect to break any records, but I fully expect a few of these kids to take a step forward and I also don't expect every single vet to have their career worst year again. We didn't have a single every day starter with an OPS near .700. I fully believe a lot of that was on Coolbaugh who is now gone.

you are really going out on a limb here ;)

they were dead last in runs with 557 for the year. :clap:

Id be willing to bet they'll increase that by 100 this year which would bump them up to 22nd based on last year.

perhaps. There were a lot of players on the team that had unusually bad years. There should be some positive regression.

https://www.mlb.com/tigers/news/tigers-announce-2023-non-roster-invitees
Prospects Malloy, Keith headline Tigers non-roster invitees.
Tigers official site

https://ilitchnewshub.com/2023/01/detroit-tigers-invite-22-players-to-major-league-camp/
Detroit Tigers Invite 22 Players to Major League Camp.
Ilitch News Hub

https://www.blessyouboys.com/2023/1...n-dingler-justyn-henry-malloy-cesar-hernandez
Detroit Tigers announce their non-roster spring training invites.
Prospects Colt Keith, Justyn-Henry Malloy, and Dillon Dingler will be the featured attractions out of this group.
BYBTB

https://motorcitybengals.com/posts/...oster-invites-to-spring-training-01gr1zxwpnfq
Detroit Tigers announce non-roster invites to Spring Training.
MCBTB

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/...ster-invitees-to-spring-training/69855440007/
Detroit Tigers' Justyn-Henry Malloy, Colt Keith receive non-roster invites spring training.
Freep

https://www.mlive.com/tigers/2023/01/tigers-spring-training-full-list-of-22-non-roster-invites.html
Tigers? spring training: Full list of 22 non-roster invites.
Mlive

Back