Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Verlander Triple Crown Watch

LOL, the Angels left Weaver in for the 9th and he gave up a jack to Dejesus. He got a gift on an unearned run earlier, so his ERA will stay at 2.41. Weaver will probably get the start the last game of the year no matter what the Angel's situation is. Weaver is on the hook for the loss if The A's can close.

Add to the Triple Crown watch another reason for MVP JV......One MVP pitcher's great year compared to Verlander. By Triple Crown standards JV's year is better in two of three categories.
Roger Clemens- 24-4, 254 IP 179 HA, 67 BB, 238 K 21 HRA, 2.48 ERA Justin Verlander- 24-5, 244 IP 166 HA, 56 BB, 244 K, 22 HRA, 2.29 ERA

Update 9.24

Wins:
JV-24
CC-19
Weaver-18

ERA:
JV-2.29
Weaver-2.41
Beckett-2.70

Ks:
JV-244
CC-230

I wish ESPN could keep there stats correctly. Right after the game they had JV in second in ERA behind Weaver by .01.

Now they show JV ahead by .01 2.40 to Weavers 2.41

I wonder if the Angels get eliminated in the next 2 games if Weaver pitchers again.

Sept. 25:

Wins:
JV-24
CC-19

ERA:
JV-2.40
Weaver-2.41

Ks:
JV-250
CC-230

Weaver is scheduled to pitch on the last day of the season. CC is supposedly done, BUT the Yanks play Tampa the last three games. With the Rays battling Boston, I wonder if CC might make a perfunctory 5 inning start.

Why would the Yanks care about the Rays and Red Sox battling for the WC? If you're thinking "its the right thing to do", no it isn't. This is baseball. He pitches in the last series, he's not ready for a game 1 start.

im kinda hoping weaver doesnt make his start, or if he does that he gets rocked. i really want JV to get that triple crown.

[quote="KalineCountry":8oznb89w]Verlander is ahead of Weaver in the ERA race by .0036 of a run

[quote="hellifino":egen0jcx]
[quote="KalineCountry":egen0jcx]Verlander is ahead of Weaver in the ERA race by .0036 of a run

[color=#006400 said:
KalineCountry[/color]]

hopefully they are tied with us in wins, or a game back. if they are 2 games up, they might rest a few players, but if not, they'll play their starters, unless they want the Yankees.

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]Why would the Yanks care about the Rays and Red Sox battling for the WC? If you're thinking "its the right thing to do", no it isn't. This is baseball. He pitches in the last series, he's not ready for a game 1 start.

Beyond the "right for the game" argument, it would not surprise me if Selig intervened. He has done so before in areas he should not have (roof open or closed in Houston anyone?)

tycobb420 said:
tycobb420 said:
No change. Go Rays.

9/27: No change.

Angels eliminated. Will Weaver pitch?

I think Weaver does pitch because the only thing they can hang their hats on is individual awards. But I think the Rangers will put up enough runs to ensure Verlander's triple crown.

tycobb420 said:
[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]Why would the Yanks care about the Rays and Red Sox battling for the WC? If you're thinking "its the right thing to do", no it isn't. This is baseball. He pitches in the last series, he's not ready for a game 1 start.

Beyond the "right for the game" argument, it would not surprise me if Selig intervened. He has done so before in areas he should not have (roof open or closed in Houston anyone?)

That argument doesn't work when you have playoff rotations to worry about. Its a bit different when you sit Peyton Manning than CC, who if he did pitch against TB, would not be ready for game 1. Selig couldn't force him to start.

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]
tycobb420 said:

That argument doesn't work when you have playoff rotations to worry about. Its a bit different when you sit Peyton Manning than CC, who if he did pitch against TB, would not be ready for game 1. Selig couldn't force him to start.

The Yanks aren't playing to win right now. The other night, Giradi left a rookie in to hit against Papelbon when he had Jeter and A-Rod available on the bench. They are playing out the string.

That's what I'm saying. They don't care. Just get ready for playoffs. The Tigers and probably Texas still have something to settle but they won't mess with the pitching. But the hitters should still play.

Back