Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Zimmerman To Be Charged

I don't understand what you mean in saying the media is "promoting a bias" with the case -- are you saying the entire media or are you identifying certain outlets? I will admit to not following the story on TV but it seems like the FoxNews side is making it out to be a 2nd Amendment/NRA issue and the "liberal media" is focusing on the racial aspects.

Unfortunately trial by media isn't held to the same standards as the courts.

wikipedia links to this:
http://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/...eaction-In-Trayvon-Martin-Case-145223895.html

Last edited:
Okay, I see - but this is true of every story and of every editor selecting pictures. You see unflattering pics of Obama used on Fox just as Olbermann always utilized horrible pics of Bush and it's obviously common for "accused" to clean up for trial and improve their image.

I see what you're saying now but it happens all the time.

Okay, I see - but this is true of every story and of every editor selecting pictures. You see unflattering pics of Obama used on Fox just as Olbermann always utilized horrible pics of Bush and it's obviously common for "accused" to clean up for trial and improve their image.

I see what you're saying now but it happens all the time.

Well, if that's true of pretty much every story, then nobody should have a problem with me saying it also applies here.

Politics only got him charged when he was let go wrongly in the first place, you might say politics got him off the hook at the start. If Zimmerman was black and Martin white, he would have been charged right away, stand your ground law or not.

How was he improperly charged? Because they chose not to take it before the grand jury?

It makes me sick when people try to make excuses for this guy. It's as laughable as people who claim OJ Simpson was framed.

What if Zimmerman's telling of how it happened is correct? I hadn't even read his side of the story until today and I never really gave that possibility much consideration.

Well, if that's true of pretty much every story, then nobody should have a problem with me saying it also applies here.

It has to be true. Editors always have discretion over pictures and images to use ...but what you seem to be saying is that this story is uniquely biased based on the media. I guess the media using an old mugshot of Zimmerman could create an initial image and impression that he'd have to overcome, but what about Nancy Grace using Tot Mom's mugshot photo before she was tried? Was the media trying to frame public opinion about Tot Mom by using an unflattering picture or was she already held in a negative light because she was being tried for killing her baby girl ...like Zimmerman's being tried for shooting an "unarmed man?"

It has to be true. Editors always have discretion over pictures and images to use ...but what you seem to be saying is that this story is uniquely biased based on the media. I guess the media using an old mugshot of Zimmerman could create an initial image and impression that he'd have to overcome, but what about Nancy Grace using Tot Mom's mugshot photo before she was tried? Was the media trying to frame public opinion about Tot Mom by using an unflattering picture or was she already held in a negative light because she was being tried for killing her baby girl ...like Zimmerman's being tried for shooting an "unarmed man?"

I don't know who Tot Mom is. And I never said it was unique. Just that I dug into this story today and found things to be different than the image I had developed from only casually following the story. The 911 transcript does not suggest the Zimmerman was racial profiling and it does support the idea the Zimmerman quit pursuing Martin. And Martin was bigger, supporting the idea that he could have overpowered Zimmerman.

If Zimmerman did quit following Martin (after the dispatcher told Zimmerman to quit following, Zimmerman said "ok", later he said "he ran"-meaning Martin, and later than that he didn't want to give out his house number because he didn't know where "this kid" is), if Martin did come back to confront Zimmerman, assault him while Zimmerman called for help, fight for the gun, and only then did Zimmerman shoot him, well, that's not at all the picture I had of this thing.

I'm looking for a transcript is Martin's call to his girlfriend, I seem to remember that painting a pretty clear picture of Zimmerman doing the following...but now I want to see the actual transcript.

Last edited:
uh oh... Detective REDANDGUILTY is on the case.

he'll get to the bottom of this one.

Two forensic voice experts said it was not Zimmerman yelling for help. That is the most solid knock I see against Zimmerman's story that I've found so far.

I think she was scheduled to testify at the criminal trial. I don't know if there's a transcript.

either way... the issue was really that Zimmerman should've been arrested and the police should've informed the DA, who is responsible for determining if a crime has been committed, and what he should be charged with.

the police shouldn't just say "Oh, you say this unarmed teenager jumped ya, then you shot him? Good enough for me. You're free to go."

Zimmerman may or may not be racist, but the bigger problem here is that the police's actions seemed to be. The media confused many people.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think she was scheduled to testify at the criminal trial. I don't know if there's a transcript.

either way... the issue was really that Zimmerman should've been arrested and the police should've informed the DA, who is responsible for determining if a crime has been committed, and what he should be charged with.

the police shouldn't just say "Oh, you say this unarmed teenager jumped ya, then you shot him? Good enough for me. You're free to go."

Zimmerman may or may not be racist, but the bigger problem here is that the police's actions seemed to be. The media confused many people.

Do they arrest you if you shoot a home invader? (I don't know.) If the stand your ground law extends those right to people outside their homes that claim they feel threatened, then it could be be the law that's screwed up rather than the police.

Improperly charged under the stand your ground law. Legally improper, not morally improper.

The stand your ground law may not apply here.

He actively persued Martin, actively seeking a confrontation, after being told by authorities not to. Vigilantism does not equal self defense. The stand your ground law is about self defense.

The stand your ground law may not apply here.

He actively persued Martin, actively seeking a confrontation, after being told by authorities not to. Vigilantism does not equal self defense. The stand your ground law is about self defense.

That's not clear now, and it certainly wasn't clear when it happened. The 911 transcript makes it seem that Zimmerman quit pursuing and lost track of Martin before the confrontation.

"Tot Mom" was mentioned previously in the thread as another example of a criminal situation being played out on cable TV on a nightly basis and though we all know its "innocent until proven guilty," the media had pretty much already convicted her. You seem to say Zimmerman has already been convicted too.

"Tot Mom" was mentioned previously in the thread as another example of a criminal situation being played out on cable TV on a nightly basis and though we all know its "innocent until proven guilty," the media had pretty much already convicted her. You seem to say Zimmerman has already been convicted too.

msnbc has already sentenced him, LOL.....egg on their face

Do they arrest you if you shoot a home invader? (I don't know.) If the stand your ground law extends those right to people outside their homes that claim they feel threatened, then it could be be the law that's screwed up rather than the police.

yes. At least in Colorado they do. Two summers ago a guy in Denver shot and killed a 17yr old burglar and was ultimately exonerated but was initially arrested until the facts were determined (as well as for his safety it was said, being a 30-something white guy in an urban Denver area, shooting a black teenager).

Back