Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Tired of talking about 2013 and before.....

Sorry I caught the tail end of this argument, I would assume that the HC would come with the staff.

Sorry I caught the tail end of this argument, I would assume that the HC would come with the staff.

It started with "Caldwell should get us 3 wins" and went from there. But to be honest, I'm not sure any of us are on the same page. :tup:

But I meant just HC can't get us 3 wins but whole staffs could...

Last edited:
Instilling discipline with less penalties, not blowing a gasket and challenging the unchallengable and not going for a fake FG when up. And just getting rid of the if something bad happens we are going to lose menatlity. Caldwell could be good for 3 more wins.

But I love this entire coaching staff too.

Instilling discipline with less penalties, not blowing a gasket and challenging the unchallengable and not going for a fake FG when up. And just getting rid of the if something bad happens we are going to lose menatlity. Caldwell could be good for 3 more wins.

But I love this entire coaching staff too.

or the Lions could have a significant injury and he could lead them to a 2-14 record like he did in Indy.

Last edited:
It started with "Caldwell should get us 3 wins" and went from there. But to be honest, I'm not sure any of us are on the same page. :tup:

But I meant just HC can't get us 3 wins but whole staffs could...

I generally think coaching is overrated by the fans in most sports. Generally talent will be what makes or breaks a team 90+% of the time. You put a coach like Belichick or Payton on the Jaguars or Raiders and I doubt they win more than 1 or 2 more games. It might matter a little bit more in the NFL when it comes to strategy and calling plays, but if the talent isn't there to execute the plan, it won't matter all that much.

I always got a kick out of Tiger fans who made it sound like Leyland was costing them 20+ games a season.

I generally think coaching is overrated by the fans in most sports. Generally talent will be what makes or breaks a team 90+% of the time. You put a coach like Belichick or Payton on the Jaguars or Raiders and I doubt they win more than 1 or 2 more games. It might matter a little bit more in the NFL when it comes to strategy and calling plays, but if the talent isn't there to execute the plan, it won't matter all that much.

I always got a kick out of Tiger fans who made it sound like Leyland was costing them 20+ games a season.

I think baseball is the sport that is least impacted by the manager & his decisions. Football is impacted the most. I think this is the case because there are so many moving parts in football. In baseball it is mostly pitcher vs. batter.

Tom, it's NBA basketball. The coaches there are just figureheads.

I don't think coaching is overrated. In the NFL, the majority of the teams have a relatively similar amount of talent (except the bottom dwellers). I think what happens is that coaches can fizzle out after awhile. There is typically an injection of life with a new coach for 3-5 years.

Tom, it's NBA basketball. The coaches there are just figureheads.

I don't think coaching is overrated. In the NFL, the majority of the teams have a relatively similar amount of talent (except the bottom dwellers). I think what happens is that coaches can fizzle out after awhile. There is typically an injection of life with a new coach for 3-5 years.

I disagree. A good NBA head coach has a big impact...not as much as football but way more than baseball!

The NBA still involves drawing up/running plays, substitutions, planning timeouts which can have some impact on the game. The NFL involves all of that as well, but keep in mind NFL coaching staffs are gigantic. Just checking the Lions page, they have 22 people listed and that probably doesn't even include some assistants. Perhaps I should've said fans overrate the impact of a single coach/manager on gameday.

Baseball managing is a joke in comparison, especially in the AL.

Other than San Antonio, the drawing up plays consists of "Pass it to star player X, get out of his way."

Rob Ryan who got fired from dallas' terrible defense? Ya....ill stick with giving payton the credit.

Also you do realize the Saints scored more points in 2012 than 2013? No of course you don't

53 TDs and 18 FGs in 2012 plus 5 defenisve TDS\
49 TDs and 22 FGs in 2013 plus 0 defensive/ST tds.

16 more offensive points for Saints in 2012 plus 35 from defense too. Yeah Payton means the world to them. Rolls eyes.

Also you do realize the Saints scored more points in 2012 than 2013? No of course you don't

53 TDs and 18 FGs in 2012 plus 5 defenisve TDS\
49 TDs and 22 FGs in 2013 plus 0 defensive/ST tds.

16 more offensive points for Saints in 2012 plus 35 from defense too. Yeah Payton means the world to them. Rolls eyes.

Either:

1 youre an idiot and truly think the b.s. you just posted

Or

2. Youre making shit up just to argue...which also makes you an idiot.

Either:

1 youre an idiot and truly think the b.s. you just posted

Or

2. Youre making shit up just to argue...which also makes you an idiot.

It's not BS. It proves you wrong. Saints scored more points in 2012. It's a fact. You're the idiot here.

And you giving one example hughes, doesn't end the discussion. And it was a bad example as I clearly showed with the Saints scoring more in 2012.

And the Saints went from 31st in pass yards per game in 2012 allowed on defense to 2nd last year under Rob Ryan. Rob Ryan did something. Who cares what he did in Dallas. He did well in New Orleans

Last edited:
It's not BS. It proves you wrong. Saints scored more points in 2012. It's a fact. You're the idiot here.

And you giving one example hughes, doesn't end the discussion. And it was a bad example as I clearly showed with the Saints scoring more in 2012.

And the Saints went from 31st in pass yards per game in 2012 allowed on defense to 2nd last year under Rob Ryan. Rob Ryan did something. Who cares what he did in Dallas. He did well in New Orleans

Scoring more in 1 year has no bearing on your w/l record. Youre an idiot for believing that. If what you say is true than thanks for proving me right. They scored less with payton and won alot more games. That's great coaching.

Last edited:
Offense was slightly worse in 2013
Defense was massively improved in 2014

Payton has worked in offensive roles his entire career, I'd like to know what he did, specifically, to improve the defense.

Back