Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Tired of talking about 2013 and before.....

But that's a long way to trade down from #9 overall.

Avril/Young/KVB and Suh/Fariley is a big difference from just Carraun Reid. Avril and Young had nice 2011s to justify the reliance and KVB wasn't that awful in 2011.

Suh is not gone yet. Not even close. Either is Fairley. And there are free agents like Jurrel Casey possibly available too.

We'll take a DT with the 32nd pick. No big deal.

Mayhew could never pull off a trade that far down and bring in that much value to the organization....were talking about mayhew here!

Were going 3-4 anyways. Get a huge fatty nt at the top of rd 2 and youre good to go. Reid at de. Have to decide if you want ansah at de or olb....he has the frame to play at 280+. then decide if you want van noy as olb or ilb. Probably need a quality rush lb.

Bottom line....save the money and dont sign either dt. Pick up a nt for 500k...Go 3-4 and spend the money elsewhere.

This is the year. They are undefeated! You gotta feel it. It's too close to starting for negativity. It's the Lions and pre-season hasn't started. Of course they are gonna win the Superbowl. I've felt that way for too long to change now.

My honest opinion is that they will be fun to watch. I didn't think that last season and I'll admit I missed games during the skid because it just wasn't interesting football. I think Schwartz was a big part of that. 11-5! Caldwell is worth three wins in my book as long as he doesn't storm out of practice and ride out on his Harley.

No coach is worth 3 wins..there are good coaches and bad ones but it always comes down to the players.

No coach is worth 3 wins..there are good coaches and bad ones but it always comes down to the players.

It depends on the previous coaches as well. If you go from a coach worth negative wins to a coach worth actual wins, it might be more than 3 on the difference. Obviously it would take a big swing, but it's possible. Imagine, for example, the Tampa Bay Bucs having been coached by Belichik last year instead of Schiano. I could see them winning 7 games with just that change.

It depends on the previous coaches as well. If you go from a coach worth negative wins to a coach worth actual wins, it might be more than 3 on the difference. Obviously it would take a big swing, but it's possible. Imagine, for example, the Tampa Bay Bucs having been coached by Belichik last year instead of Schiano. I could see them winning 7 games with just that change.

I don't. Now MAYBE a whole coaching staff adds wins but a HC by itself..the Bucs still bad..

I don't. Now MAYBE a whole coaching staff adds wins but a HC by itself..the Bucs still bad..

I didn't realize we were only talking HC, my bad. But it would also be kind of weird if a team hired a HC and forced him to deal with the shitty assistants of his predecessor.

I didn't realize we were only talking HC, my bad. But it would also be kind of weird if a team hired a HC and forced him to deal with the shitty assistants of his predecessor.

Of course. I do have some faith in the coordinators..so maybe together they can help.

I see the staff as a reflection of the HC since he picks them and they represent him when they get drunk and go to Wendy's naked.

Three is a HUGE stretch for the impact a coach has for sure. I said it in the name of optimism because I WANT to believe again. There is a Santa Claus and the Lions CAN win a Superbowl. When I was a child I thought these things. Now time has crept up on me and I'm jaded. But once every year, for a few weeks I can recapture that youthful innocence.

Going game by game I see an 8-8 team. No matter how many times I work the numbers only a change in culture (HC?) can improve on that number.

I don't like the man but jim harbaugh debunks that. Basically all of his talent was already there when he walked in. He just used them better.

Last edited:
Whatever rules apply in the NFL don't apply for the Detroit Lions. It's a graveyard for coaching.

I don't like the man but jim harbaugh debunks that. Basically all of his talent was already there when he walked in. He just used them better.

Or because they went from a HC who none of the players liked, Singletary, to anyone else. New Coordinators too..I just don't think a HC by itself can get 3 wins..

But we might be looking at the question differently..

I think they can. Bill Belichick would not have gone 0-16. He could have figured a few wins into that year.

Last edited:
I think they can. Bill Belichick would not have gone 0-16. He could have figured a few wins into that year.

Just secretly tape the opponents signals. That's good for a few wins.

Okay... Mike Tomlin, Jim Harbaugh, John Harbaugh, Mike McCarthy, any coach not named Marinelli would have won a few games that year.

That's hard to say, Millen put the worst team together in history. Not saying that some coaches aren't better than others but it's still the players making or not making plays..

But as far as Belichick is concerned, it goes both ways - some teams NE or a Peyton Manning led team is going to win regardless.

Last edited:
And as incredibly bad as the 0-16 team was, they still came within 10 points in 8 different games. That's how close the talent is in the NFL. A good coach would have been the difference in 3 of those. Just my opinion of course, but I strongly believe it.

And as incredibly bad as the 0-16 team was, they still came within 10 points in 8 different games. That's how close the talent is in the NFL. A good coach would have been the difference in 3 of those. Just my opinion of course, but I strongly believe it.

Possibly but my opinion says no. But like I said earlier, a coaching staff - sure. Add in different HC, OC and DC etc..I can see that.

Back