Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

2023 NFL Draft

Interesting. Agree with building the defense. You are still on the Goff train? I think it's going to be QB pick 1

I think Detroit is in a unique position with Goff.

1. He isn't bad. He is an above average QB when there are solid weapons available to him. The offense can move the ball and score points with him behind center. So, if they want to build the team around him I would be ok with a 2 year extension at a reasonable price. If he's looking for $40M/year.....once Holmes stop laughing they should cut him immediately.
If he would take a 2 year/$50M extension. I say do it.

Keeping him allows you to go all in on the defense.....keep the entire offense in tact.....and try to make a really big move up the standing in 2023

2. If the Lions feel that taking a QB with their top pick....I can understand that as well. If they think one of the available QB's is their guy then it's hard to argue upgrading over Goff.

Doing this will slightly delay the build as you have one less top tier pick to spend on a high end defender and you might have to wait for said quarterback to develop to a level that he can elevate the offense.

Personally, I'd prefer option 1.

IM torn between Anderson and Hooker. Anderson is the right move cause our defense is a disaster. Hooker would make the Lions fun to watch again for the first time since Calvin. He can be Josh Allen in this league and has THAT big of an arm. The throw in the above video @:50 is ridiculous.

Last edited:
IM torn between Anderson and Hooker. Anderson is the right move cause our defense is a disaster. Hooker would make the Lions fun to watch again for the first time since Calvin. He can be Josh Allen in this league and has THAT big of an arm. The throw in the above video @:50 is ridiculous.

Take Anderson and any chance could use Rams pick and trade up for Hooker. Not ideal to lose later picks but you get two studs. Stroud, Young, Levis, Hooker. Any of them you don't like?

If they get a good Mike LB, CB2 and nickel CB in free agency they will know at draft time if they can trade up for a QB I think. Safety Joseph stepped up, depends on the market as we already paid Walker (though hurt and may/might not play early next season and who knows at what level). If we have a good CB2, MIKE LB, nickel CB in FA on top of the Dline with Anderson/Hutch/Paschal/McNeil with Okwara/Cominsky backups/Levi backups could get away with a cheaper SS waiting for Walker return.

We didn't give up much to move last year and the Rams pick should be in late teens early 20s this time but depends on how high Hooker rises in the pre-draft process

Based on what I saw this Saturday, I think Hooker moves past Levis. Levis was terrible vs. TN. 16-27 for 98 yards, 0 TD, 3 INT.

I would love to see us bring in a staff who can develop players before we even think about who we?re picking.

Hate seeing us ruin the careers of these young men cause we?re an incompetent organization.

I would love to see us bring in a staff who can develop players before we even think about who we?re picking.

Hate seeing us ruin the careers of these young men cause we?re an incompetent organization.

Pretty sure that is EXACTLY what this staff is doing. Who is NOT developing?

Think coaches have a lot more to prove.

Staley did a good job with Swift and Jamaal but Swift is consta hurt so can't really tell.

Barnes and they switched ILB coaches this year to Shepphard from DeLeone. Barnes was very raw though.

AO I would say regressed. Okudah has progressed but had injuries first 2 years so it's behind. Will Harris technically progressed but also switched positions. Ife injuries and switched positions. Jacobs been hurt. Parker I think progressed a little but now hurt. Mike Hughes looks worse than he did with the Chiefs. Elliot about the same but he's a vet. Brockers got worse (age), Anzalone bad always

Levi hasn't due to injuries. McNeil been steady solid maybe a little worse than last year at this point. That is on Todd Wash (non-former player). Can't say much about Buggs compared to Steelers days.

Oline progressed but I think they are under performing than what they should be with Fraley. I think they should be top 5 even missing Vaitai, they are not top 5

Hutch is now in a better position for him. He is progressing though. Paschal looks solid through 2 games from injury all offseason. Joseph is raw but improving as a rookie getting playing time. Rodriguez been solid from the get go but still needs coverage improvement and is undersized so will always need to be smart.

WR St Brown and Reynolds seem to be getting better, though Reynolds still clearly far from perfect. Kalif Raymond improved. Chark didn't produce much and got hurt again. Cephus hurt quickly again. Kennedy is steady meh

And Goff I would say has progressed but still has some big bad habits in the pocket and turnovers when things don't go his way. Brunell I would say needs to fix it but it probably doesn't matter if we draft a QB then. Can Brunell develop that rookie is a good question

Because we?ve seen our past 4 top 10 picks produce like superstars?Lol we?ve developed shit for talent.

Hockinson- mediocre at best
Okudoh- below average top corner
Sewell - The guy is still playing RT in his 2nd season
Hutch - verdict is still out

We don?t have one starter playing above starting caliber levels. Do we not blame the staff for that?! St. Brown is the only exception I might make.

Because we?ve seen our past 4 top 10 picks produce like superstars?Lol we?ve developed shit for talent.

Hockinson- mediocre at best
Okudoh- below average top corner
Sewell - The guy is still playing RT in his 2nd season
Hutch - verdict is still out

We don?t have one starter playing above starting caliber levels. Do we not blame the staff for that?! St. Brown is the only exception I might make.

Hockinson wasn't this regime's pick.

Okudah?? - Are you for real? Fat Bastard made him the worst corner in the league. Now he is becoming a #1 corner. Miami threw at him 3 times. Justin Jefferson worst game of his career. (3 for 14 yds) In the other 6 games this year....AVERAGING 8 for 123 yds.

Sewell - already one of the top RT in the NFL. Will likely swing over to the left side soon.

Hutch - Getting better every week.

Kerby Joseph - Looking like a good pick.

ASB - 4th round pick....no WR other than Waddle and Chase have better numbers (they were pick #5 & #6). 16 WR drafted before him. I'd say that's development.

Malcolm Rodriguez - Solid starting LB (#1 ranked against the run) taken in the 5th.

Kalif Raymond - Best #'s of his career.

Jared Goff - Better than his last 2 years in LA

Josh Reynolds -Best #'s of his career.

You also have UDFA's like Jacobs and Brock Wright carving out roles.

I think you are mistaking player development and overall talent level. They whiffed on Levi and his ability to even stay healthy enough to play.....but this is a team that lacks TALENT on the defensive side of the ball. You can't make Jerry Jacobs play like Sauce Gardener and then blame the coaches for not getting him to that level. But for the most part, the guys hes brought in have developed nicely. Yes, there are exceptions, just like there are on EVERY team....but I can't think of a guy they've brought in that has gotten WORSE. Anzelone was never good to begin with. Neither was Brockers.

Campbell isn't perfect.....but I can't imagine that ANYONE on the planet thought this team would be playoff competitive within 24 games. Not with the roster they were handed.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/det/2020_roster.htm

Look at that roster. It's a fucking JOKE. That roster had Stafford, Decker, Ragnow and Jonah Jackson. That's it. The rest of the ENTIRE roster was well over the hill or never started climbing it. And Jackson is an above average G in the NFL....not a star. Quinn and Patricia STILL have their incompetent hands all over this roster. Not just with players, but with the fact that it was SO bad....its going to take 3 or 4 off seasons to build it to a level that could win playoff games. That's an undeniable fact.

The roster now is far better but still needs a lot of improvement defensively. That wasn't going to happen in 2 off seasons. Especially when no FA's want to play here.....and that has NOTHING to do with Dan Campbell or Brad Holmes.

Agree with you Booger

I don't think anyone expecting like 5-2 or anything. But like 2-3 wins at this point. The Lions were close against some good teams too but sick of losing close games (and getting blown out in 2 others). But if one more year of an absolute terrible record leads to even more building and they are good in 2023, 2024 and beyond, then I can deal with it. But alot needs to happen for that to happen. Takes time for draft picks, coaches needs to do a little better in development, game management, game planning, calling the right plays, when to go for it and not and need the right free agency mesh too without breaking the cap and of course we need to not be hit so hard with injuries. Players have to play to develop.

Last edited:
I still believe Hard Knocks skewed the fan perception of this team. Bad team and a mediocre FA market, this is basically the same team as last year plus 2022 draft picks. Year 1 was all about gutting the roster, basically still in the process of building the foundation. We?ll see if Holmes can actually build up a roster that will be good in 2-3 years.

I still believe Hard Knocks skewed the fan perception of this team. Bad team and a mediocre FA market, this is basically the same team as last year plus 2022 draft picks. Year 1 was all about gutting the roster, basically still in the process of building the foundation. We?ll see if Holmes can actually build up a roster that will be good in 2-3 years.

I think this is exactly right. They have done well to build up the offense to the point that a slightly above average QB can be effective in it and put points on the board.

Defense still needs a complete overhaul besides Okudah, Hutch, Rodrigo and Kerby Joseph. Guys like McNeil, Walker and Hughes are fine players that help more than hurt, but are not cornerstones of the build.

I think this is exactly right. They have done well to build up the offense to the point that a slightly above average QB can be effective in it and put points on the board.

Defense still needs a complete overhaul besides Okudah, Hutch, Rodrigo and Kerby Joseph. Guys like McNeil, Walker and Hughes are fine players that help more than hurt, but are not cornerstones of the build.

I just want the Dline to step up. Hutch, Charles Harris (healthy), Paschal (healthy), Cominsky (healthyish with wrist club) and McNeil. And Buggs is fine for now at NT. Anything from the Okwara brothers is just added bonus. Both run D and pass rush. Step the hell up. Tough with two rookies but they have the talent.

Okudah and Joseph and Rodrigo keep doing their thing and improving. Campbell mentioned Jerry Jacobs get his shot to play this week back from the ACL. CB2, Nickel and MIKE LB will be the weak spots. At some point you play Barnes (2 more cheap years after this year) over Anzalone too for one last chance to start but Barnes got hurt last game now

Hockinson wasn't this regime's pick.

Okudah?? - Are you for real? Fat Bastard made him the worst corner in the league. Now he is becoming a #1 corner. Miami threw at him 3 times. Justin Jefferson worst game of his career. (3 for 14 yds) In the other 6 games this year....AVERAGING 8 for 123 yds.

Sewell - already one of the top RT in the NFL. Will likely swing over to the left side soon.

Hutch - Getting better every week.

Kerby Joseph - Looking like a good pick.

ASB - 4th round pick....no WR other than Waddle and Chase have better numbers (they were pick #5 & #6). 16 WR drafted before him. I'd say that's development.

Malcolm Rodriguez - Solid starting LB (#1 ranked against the run) taken in the 5th.

Kalif Raymond - Best #'s of his career.

Jared Goff - Better than his last 2 years in LA

Josh Reynolds -Best #'s of his career.

You also have UDFA's like Jacobs and Brock Wright carving out roles.

I think you are mistaking player development and overall talent level. They whiffed on Levi and his ability to even stay healthy enough to play.....but this is a team that lacks TALENT on the defensive side of the ball. You can't make Jerry Jacobs play like Sauce Gardener and then blame the coaches for not getting him to that level. But for the most part, the guys hes brought in have developed nicely. Yes, there are exceptions, just like there are on EVERY team....but I can't think of a guy they've brought in that has gotten WORSE. Anzelone was never good to begin with. Neither was Brockers.

Campbell isn't perfect.....but I can't imagine that ANYONE on the planet thought this team would be playoff competitive within 24 games. Not with the roster they were handed.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/det/2020_roster.htm

Look at that roster. It's a fucking JOKE. That roster had Stafford, Decker, Ragnow and Jonah Jackson. That's it. The rest of the ENTIRE roster was well over the hill or never started climbing it. And Jackson is an above average G in the NFL....not a star. Quinn and Patricia STILL have their incompetent hands all over this roster. Not just with players, but with the fact that it was SO bad....its going to take 3 or 4 off seasons to build it to a level that could win playoff games. That's an undeniable fact.

The roster now is far better but still needs a lot of improvement defensively. That wasn't going to happen in 2 off seasons. Especially when no FA's want to play here.....and that has NOTHING to do with Dan Campbell or Brad Holmes.

Call it what you want. If you aren?t improving in the win loss column where it counts, your not developing. Not one player you mentioned is playing at an above average starter level(outside of St Brown). We?ve had 4 top 10 picks the last 4years, none are playing or being utilized to that potential.

You?d have a case w Sewell if they moved him to LT, but they haven?t.

Still not sold on the offense. They were shut down back to back weeks. Dallas has a solid D , NE not so much. When the Bears can score over 30 vs NE and Lions get shutout not good.

To Sewell high pick for RT, nope. He could be the best RT in the league still no good. The team is so stupid over the years with draft TE and RT and CB too high. Okudah is doing better this year still not warranted a top 3 pick. But it's a start.

1-6.

That's some dumb ass shit, right there.

The dumb ass shit is when your thinking this team/players are improving but yet we?re 1-6. Who the F*** on this team plays constantly at an above average starting NFL level outside of St. Brown? We?ve had 4, top 10 picks, the last 4 years. Every single top 10 pick should be an above average NFL starter, every one of them. Maybe you can make a case for Sewell but he?s a fucking RT for us. This organization is trash and fucking up careers for these young men.

The dumb ass shit is when your thinking this team/players are improving but yet we?re 1-6. Who the F*** on this team plays constantly at an above average starting NFL level outside of St. Brown? We?ve had 4, top 10 picks, the last 4 years. Every single top 10 pick should be an above average NFL starter, every one of them. Maybe you can make a case for Sewell but he?s a fucking RT for us. This organization is trash and fucking up careers for these young men.

Sewell, Ragnow, Jonah Jackson, Swift when he plays, Reynolds actually this year, Decker, I'd say Jamaal Williams based on the numbers, St Brown and being 9th in PPG offense. Goff at home is good, Goff on the road sucks but he isn't the future. And then of course Jameson Williams is all potential.

Defense Okudah, Rodriguez have been above average league wide. Hutch and Paschal big potential but the rest of the defense will be the focus in the 23 offseason. Still hoping Hutch can be a game wrecker too. And McNeil has been in his career but more average this year I would say. Charles Harris when healthy can be an above average to good starter too.

Mike LB, CB2, nickel CB, SS, one more pass rushing DT (given Levi being so injured) are the biggest holes clearly

Back