Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Tigers Sign Eduardo Rodriguez, Injured finger, now possible opt out or trade

For me, the last thing I would do is extend him.

My preference

1) trade him
2) Let him walk
3) extend him
The walking would be his since he can opt out not the team. Why extend since he's already under contract..

Personally I never understood trading any worth just because he's doing well or team isn't playoff bound. He's only 30 you know all a trade will do is get junk back. How about keep him and build around him.

And that article above about a less than stellar outing, unattainable, Florida etc. is complete crap. Why shouldn't we be excited. Not likes he's been a terrible pitcher up until this season. My guess is he opts out because he can make more elsewhere. Unless he implodes.

The walking would be his since he can opt out not the team. Why extend since he's already under contract..

Personally I never understood trading any worth just because he's doing well or team isn't playoff bound. He's only 30 you know all a trade will do is get junk back. How about keep him and build around him.

the premise is, if he is good for the rest of the year, he will walk unless you extend him.

If his start is a fluke but he still has a good year, his agent will threaten to walk unless he gets some sort of extension.

If he sucks for most of the second 1/2, he probably stays.

The only option that the Tigers control is the ability to trade him.

the premise is, if he is good for the rest of the year, he will walk unless you extend him.

If his start is a fluke but he still has a good year, his agent will threaten to walk unless he gets some sort of extension.

If he sucks for most of the second 1/2, he probably stays.

The only option that the Tigers control is the ability to trade him.
For what? We had good players where we absolutely got nothing.. Verlander, Max, Castallanos, JD, Robbie Ray, even C?spedes. Probably guys I missed. Rather just take the chance and have him for the year.

The Tigers got something relatively good in return for 3 of the trades.
Ray turned into Joey Wentz (currently starting pitcher)
Castellanos turned into Alex Lange (current closer)
JV turned into Jake Rogers (starting catcher)

Max turned into nothing because they didn't trade him

Maybe the Tigers should have traded Max and got something in return?

The Tigers got something relatively good in return for 3 of the trades.
Ray turned into Joey Wentz (currently starting pitcher)
Castellanos turned into Alex Lange (current closer)
JV turned into Jake Rogers (starting catcher)

Max turned into nothing because they didn't trade him

Maybe the Tigers should have traded Max and got something in return?
Yeah Wentz is a stud. Rogers, lol, plays every 2 years and has a career .183 average. For a HOF who could still pitch. I'll take an everyday player over 60 innings in Lange. But at least he's decent. Like I said nothing.

if they walk you actually get nothing...as in not even a starter, a "backup" catcher, or a closer.

You would rather have nothing than something? Brilliant!

if they walk you actually get nothing...as in not even a starter, a "backup" catcher, or a closer.

You would rather have nothing than something? Brilliant!
Nothing = Nothing. Just because Detroit lacks in the rotation department doesn't mean Wentz is a starter. Ray was only 23 at the time. And Rogers is way overrated. I like Lange so I'm glad we got something

Nothing = Nothing. Just because Detroit lacks in the rotation department doesn't mean Wentz is a starter. Ray was only 23 at the time. And Rogers is way overrated. I like Lange so I'm glad we got something

so rotational depth in the system is worthless. And Rogers is also worthless, even though he leads the team in HR, 5th in OPS, and has a plus WAR on offense and defense.

You would rather have nothing that those two players. :hmm:

so rotational depth in the system is worthless. And Rogers is also worthless, even though he leads the team in HR, 5th in OPS, and has a plus WAR on offense and defense.

You would rather have nothing that those two players. :hmm:
I just rather have better players. We traded good ones.

Rogers is . 3 on both sides, wow, hardly an endorsement. . 183, k's a ton and he's not efficient at the plate. So he hits a few HR, YIPPEE. HIS SLIGHTLY above average defense doesn't make up for that.

I just rather have better players. We traded good ones.

yes, in a perfect world, the Tigers would have better players. But the point is, you either trade them for something or they leave and you get nothing.

Rogers is . 3 on both sides, wow, hardly an endorsement. . 183, k's a ton and he's not efficient at the plate. So he hits a few HR, YIPPEE. HIS SLIGHTLY above average defense doesn't make up for that.

again, slightly above replacement level is better than nothing.

yes, in a perfect world, the Tigers would have better players. But the point is, you either trade them for something or they leave and you get nothing.

again, slightly above replacement level is better than nothing.
Yeah WAR which is almost useless. I don't think anyone would look at Rogers and think he's an above average player, even a little bit.

Last edited:
Yeah WAR which is almost useless. I don't think anyone would look at Rogers and think he's an above average player, even a little bit.

I said slightly above replacement level. A 0 replacement level player is not an average player, it's a below average player.

Replacement level: a player who may be added to the team for minimal cost and effort

You have not given me a single reason that getting nothing in return is better than even getting slightly above replacement level player in return, except "I want good players". We all want good players, but that's not a solution to the problem at hand, that's just wishful thinking.

Also, Rogers wasn't even the main piece in the JV deal. Franklin P?rez was a top 50 prospect. You can't put that on the Tigers that his arm fell apart at 20 years old. The fact that they pulled a top 50 prospect and a good catching prospect for a highly paid pitcher that was showing regression with Deteoit that year was impressive. Remember he wasn't pitching that amazing with detroit that year. Then suddenly he pitched better than ever AFTER the trade.

The problem wasn't that they traded all those players, it was that they waited too long and didn't get the value they should have

I said slightly above replacement level. A 0 replacement level player is not an average player, it's a below average player.

Replacement level: a player who may be added to the team for minimal cost and effort

You have not given me a single reason that getting nothing in return is better than even getting slightly above replacement level player in return, except "I want good players". We all want good players, but that's not a solution to the problem at hand, that's just wishful thinking.
Sorry I was confused by the (starting catcher)

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podca...h-injuries-heres/id1674627945?i=1000615217851
Days of Roar Tigers Podcast: Eduardo Rodriguez, Riley Greene out with injuries: Here's what we learned from two doctors. 35 minutes.

With both Eduardo Rodriguez and Riley Greene heading to the injured list, the Free Press talked to two orthopedic surgeons to learn more about their injuries.

How long should we expect E-Rod or Greene to be out? What does this mean for the Detroit Tigers' chances of taking the AL Central?
What about the trade deadline? Who could the team potentially call up?
Who should they call up? Mark and Evan go over these questions and more in this emergency podcast edition of "Days of Roar."

Back