Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Who's brave?

Red and Guilty said:
6059562309_b9359ea345.jpg

I'm the one above right.

I didn't expect the goatee. No discerning man would be caught without it!

GoBlueInAtlanta said:
Red and Guilty said:
I'm the one above right.

It was sort of a thing in my lab to start growing one when you started writing up your work (kind of an indicator to the boss of how long you'd been there). I was hoping to not trim it 'til I graduated, but a wedding came along and I was getting a bit scraggly-lookin'.

you know what's usually weirder than seeing faces? hearing voices.

before my class reunion a couple years back, I felt like I could recognize most people again based on facebook, but I was totally unprepared for the way their voices had changed in the intervening 10 years.

SIDE NOTE: Red, the face recognition thing is scary. Facebook has gotten bad press about that. I wonder if there are any ways you can defeat it? I would post myself with sunglasses and a hat maybe... or a fake mustache.

MichChamp02 said:

before my class reunion a couple years back, I felt like I could recognize most people again based on facebook, but I was totally unprepared for the way their voices had changed in the intervening 10 years.

SIDE NOTE: Red, the face recognition thing is scary. Facebook has gotten bad press about that. I wonder if there are any ways you can defeat it? I would post myself with sunglasses and a hat maybe... or a fake mustache.

I seem to have a natural defense against that software...so far. I haven't tried the facebook stuff, but I've uploaded pics to various facial recognition programs through the last few years and they never seem to work. An early one that matched faces to celebrity pics said I looked most like Renee Zellweger. The coke zero matcher that matched up strangers said I didn't match anyone. It matched my dog to someone, but not me. I tried several different pictured.

DR said:
Ok, for real this time. I'm the one on the right...

Hey that guy on the left looks almost like your avatar

Now I can find you at basketball games...

The weird thing is that I'm balder than my Dad but not as bald as my 4.5yr younger Wolverine brother ...and not too long ago my Dad was balder than I .....

MichChamp02 said:
LOL, bam, why aren't you smiling?

Was that pic taken before or after you blamed Carr for RR's 3-9 record?

I guess I could post a picture... I kinda dig the anonymity... but I wouldn't be averse to meeting people in real life.

That picture was taken 4 years and about 35 pounds ago (so not overly worried about face recognition stuff).

And are we really going go down this road again? Let's just leave it as I blame Carr for less than you blame RR for.

I met Lloyd Carr in the late spring of 2007. As a high school kid growing up in Pittsburgh during the 1997 National Championship team (which was the first season in my life that every UM game was televised in western PA), I idolized Carr and Bill Cowher. I was fortunate enough to meet both men at different times, but got to speak with Coach Carr for quite a bit more. My signed UM flag hanging in my basement is my favorite piece in the man cave.

Carr spoke for about 20 minutes at this banquet, and the only regret I have of the whole evening was that he was wearing the ring and it didn't show up in the picture. We were sitting at different tables during the dinner, but our chairs were back to back. We spoke briefly between dinner and dessert and again after he spoke. The last thing I said to him as we shook hands after the picture was that I sincerely enjoyed watching him get carried off the field by the players, and it's the greatest praise any coach could get from his guys. He just smiled.

bamf16 said:
MichChamp02 said:

I guess I could post a picture... I kinda dig the anonymity... but I wouldn't be averse to meeting people in real life.

That picture was taken 4 years and about 35 pounds ago (so not overly worried about face recognition stuff).

And are we really going go down this road again? Let's just leave it as I blame Carr for less than you blame RR for.

I met Lloyd Carr in the late spring of 2007. As a high school kid growing up in Pittsburgh during the 1997 National Championship team (which was the first season in my life that every UM game was televised in western PA), I idolized Carr and Bill Cowher. I was fortunate enough to meet both men at different times, but got to speak with Coach Carr for quite a bit more. My signed UM flag hanging in my basement is my favorite piece in the man cave.

Carr spoke for about 20 minutes at this banquet, and the only regret I have of the whole evening was that he was wearing the ring and it didn't show up in the picture. We were sitting at different tables during the dinner, but our chairs were back to back. We spoke briefly between dinner and dessert and again after he spoke. The last thing I said to him as we shook hands after the picture was that I sincerely enjoyed watching him get carried off the field by the players, and it's the greatest praise any coach could get from his guys. He just smiled.

I met coach Carr back in my junior year of high school when he was at John Glenn HS and I was playing at Garden City West HS. Of course, back then he was coach Carr, not COACH CARR. My dad was the sports editor for the Associated Newspapers (which included the Westland Eagle), so he covered the JG games and he interviewed Lloyd a couple times.

As fate would have it, my dad and Lloyd played in a match-play type of golf tournament in Taylor that my younger brother organized in the late '90's (or early 00's, can't remember) . Dad beat him, to which afterward Lloyd said to him, "I can't believe I got beat by an old guy!" I, unfortunately, had to play against a Scottish guy who formerly caddied for Colin Montgomery and I lost 3 and 2.

Funny aside. One of the guys in our group asked the ex-caddy, "What do they call a Mulligan in Scotland?" He replied, "Three from the tee!"
laugh.png
laugh.png
laugh.png
laugh.png

Red and Guilty said:
MichChamp02 said:

I seem to have a natural defense against that software...so far. I haven't tried the facebook stuff, but I've uploaded pics to various facial recognition programs through the last few years and they never seem to work. An early one that matched faces to celebrity pics said I looked most like Renee Zellweger. The coke zero matcher that matched up strangers said I didn't match anyone. It matched my dog to someone, but not me. I tried several different pictured.

Yeah, yeah, I can see that. ???

bigvic said:
The weird thing is that I'm balder than my Dad but not as bald as my 4.5yr younger Wolverine brother ...and not too long ago my Dad was balder than I .....

Sounds like a logical equation to be deciphered.

If Vic is balder than his father,
but not as bald as his younger brother,
and his father used to be balder than Vic,
then which one looks like a cueball?

Red and Guilty said:
GoBlueInAtlanta said:

It was sort of a thing in my lab to start growing one when you started writing up your work (kind of an indicator to the boss of how long you'd been there). I was hoping to not trim it 'til I graduated, but a wedding came along and I was getting a bit scraggly-lookin'.

I grew a full beard for the first time as a lark back in 2003 or so. I told my wife to get a picture cuz it wasn't going to ever happen again. I then shaved to a goatee so she could get that pic and intended on shaving clean (except the Tom Selleck 'stache), but all four females in the house went, "Oooo, I like it," when I walked into the living room.

I still have it.

MichChamp02 said:

Lots of folks nowadays have pictures of their mugs on the internet with facebook and social media, and what not...

...and they're all still just as anonymous as they've always been...

[color=#551A8B said:
TinselWolverine[/color]]
MichChamp02 said:

Lots of folks nowadays have pictures of their mugs on the internet with facebook and social media, and what not...

...and they're all still just as anonymous as they've always been...

Mornin', Tinsel. What you doin' up at 6 am on a Saturday?

Hungry said:
DR said:
Ok, for real this time. I'm the one on the right...

Hey that guy on the left looks almost like your avatar

Now I can find you at basketball games...

Ha, I actually call my brother George. He's much closer.

But that picture was before I dropped the 10+ lbs...you'd never recognize me now...

Those aren't goatees, they're circle beards. Circle beards are out. Shave 'em off. Back when Jim Rome was still popular, circle beards were the thing. Now they're no longer the thing to have. I swear the circle beards was to the 90's as the mullet was to the 80's. Everyone had one. Good thing that's over with. Now there's just a few 30-somethings holding onto them for some reason.

A goatee is only from the lip down to the chin. These are still in style right now as is the chinstrap.

Red and Guilty said:
[quote="Maize&Cheese304":x1v3tjjs]

well i didnt really assume. i just wanted to make the joke lol

I figured as much, but it's uncanny. People refer to him as "she" even after we correct them.[/quote:x1v3tjjs]

It's because he resembles Rene Zellweiger.

Hey GBiA. I'm typically an early riser. In two weeks, it's going to be either 10 minutes or 40 minutes until College Game Starts at this time of the morning.

A goatee is only from the lip down to the chin. These are still in style right now as is the chinstrap.

What's a "chinstrap?" Is it that beatnicky looking just a little growth on the chin with no moustache?

GoBlueInAtlanta said:
bigvic said:

Sounds like a logical equation to be deciphered.

If Vic is balder than his father,
but not as bald as his younger brother,
and his father used to be balder than Vic,
then which one looks like a cueball?

Ha! Little brother is the cueball (people have asked if he's the older of us in recent years) and ever since my dad's bone marrow transplant, he's got thicker hair than he's had since his 20's!

Back