Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Who's brave?

[color=#551A8B said:
TinselWolverine[/color]]

A goatee is only from the lip down to the chin. These are still in style right now as is the chinstrap.

What's a "chinstrap?" Is it that beatnicky looking just a little growth on the chin with no moustache?

It's cool, okay Tinsel?!?!

bigvic said:
[color=#551A8B said:
TinselWolverine[/color]]

What's a "chinstrap?" Is it that beatnicky looking just a little growth on the chin with no moustache?

Is that's what it is? Sure, it's cool, if that's what a person wants. Nothing wrong with looking beatnicky if a person wants to look beatnicky.

Most of the guys I see rockin' that look are young guys, early mid 20's ish.

When I do facial hair, I keep it to a real light goatee - I think I was sporting one when I saw you last, to go along with my shaved dome - doing the Mr. Clean look.

I started shaving my whole face a couple weeks ago; I think I'll keep doing that until I stop shaving my head...I haven't decided whether the last time I shave my lid for the summer is going to be Friday night, September 2, or Saturday AM, the next day.

Go Blue!

Well, I tend to mess around and go from goatee (Jim Rome or whatever), to chinstrap to nothing to even rocking just a stache one year around the holidays when I wasn't meeting with clients.

bigvic said:
Well, I tend to mess around and go from goatee (Jim Rome or whatever), to chinstrap to nothing to even rocking just a stache one year around the holidays when I wasn't meeting with clients.

That's right - I think I remember now that you were rollin' with a chin stap when I saw you last! You did look very hip; in fact I was half expecting you to pull out sunglasses, a small brimmed fedora and a saxophone at any moment.

I've done the chin strap thing once or twice, of course, but I thought for me I looked better either with the goatee or clean shaven. I don't wear a "circle beard", though, when I do the goatee it's real tight.

[color=#551A8B said:
TinselWolverine[/color]]
[quote="Red and Guilty":w7vdnpel]

I figured as much, but it's uncanny. People refer to him as "she" even after we correct them.

It's because he resembles Rene Zellweiger.[/quote:w7vdnpel]

LOL!

bigvic said:
[color=#551A8B said:
TinselWolverine[/color]]

I have to admit that my post was mostly in jest. Hopefully, I didn't need to point that out to you guys.

[color=#551A8B said:
TinselWolverine[/color]]
bigvic said:

Is that's what it is? Sure, it's cool, if that's what a person wants. Nothing wrong with looking beatnicky if a person wants to look beatnicky.

Most of the guys I see rockin' that look are young guys, early mid 20's ish.

When I do facial hair, I keep it to a real light goatee - I think I was sporting one when I saw you last, to go along with my shaved dome - doing the Mr. Clean look.

I started shaving my whole face a couple weeks ago; I think I'll keep doing that until I stop shaving my head...I haven't decided whether the last time I shave my lid for the summer is going to be Friday night, September 2, or Saturday AM, the next day.

Go Blue!

Yes. Imagine a chin strap for football, where that part is that goes on the chin, and just grow hair there. As for 20 year olds wearing these, who do you think sets the trends?

Did you have a goatee or a circle beard? If circle beard, thanks for shaving that thing. The clean shaven look is much more in than the circle beard. Just check with all of your Hollywood buddies, they'll confirm.

OK...adding 2 cents to all the circle beard talk.... When I get to the point I was in the picture, the corners of my mustache rebel and start turning up. It wants to rock the bare-knuckle boxer/1800s baseball-style handlebar....which I've done for very short periods of time, hours, without going in public. (You know, when you shave the full beard, you might as well carve out a friendly mustache for a few hours..circle beards become fu manchus.)

Red and Guilty said:
OK...adding 2 cents to all the circle beard talk.... When I get to the point I was in the picture, the corners of my mustache rebel and start turning up. It wants to rock the bare-knuckle boxer/1800s baseball-style handlebar....which I've done for very short periods of time, hours, without going in public. (You know, when you shave the full beard, you might as well carve out a friendly mustache for a few hours..circle beards become fu manchus.)

Its ok as long as you don't go all Rollie Fingers on us...

SH... I agree with you on the circle beard thing. either go with the mustache or the goatee, but not both.

if you're older than "college age" the only acceptable facial hair is a full beard, or a mustache, but nothing goofy or creative. Unless you're competing in this: http://www.worldbeardchampionships.com/

Red and Guilty said:

all the bartenders at some of the more extreme hipster joints in my neighborhood have those. If you go to certain places sporting a vintage 'stache like that, you well be highly praised... you might even get laid.

That 1890's boxer stache is hip in the skate/snow scene right now too...

your-great-grandfather-would-be-proud.jpg

Did you have a goatee or a circle beard? If circle beard, thanks for shaving that thing. The clean shaven look is much more in than the circle beard. Just check with all of your Hollywood buddies, they'll confirm.

No man, when I wear a goatee, its a real clean tight goatee - shaved right up to my mouth on both sides.

Jim Rome tapes his show in Hollywood (or close by) but he isn't a buddy of mine.

Anyway, I'm clean shaven right now, whether that's in or not.
Now - a real "in" look in Hollywood - and it has been for a while- is unshaven, but not really any kind of beard; maybe a little heavier growth in the goatee area.

I do that look in the fall and winter, when my work shifts back to dealing with tourists about show biz stuff - tourists expect to see people who live and work in Hollywood rollin' with that look.

Edit: I guess, I'm contacting myself a little bit - so to clarify - when I'm doing work where people who see you expect you to be neat, I'm either clean shaven, or wear a tight goatee. When I'm doing where you can get away with being scruffy, I go a little. The gigs are are seasonal, so it tends to work out.

MichChamp02 said:
SH... I agree with you on the circle beard thing. either go with the mustache or the goatee, but not both.

if you're older than "college age" the only acceptable facial hair is a full beard, or a mustache, but nothing goofy or creative. Unless you're competing in this: http://www.worldbeardchampionships.com/

College age? That's pretty stiff, unless the quotes are meant to indicate college age + ..say 7-8years or so. Have you seen actual college students lately? You're my age, so they should look like kids. I was working on a college campus the last 7 years...you know that line from Dazed and Confused: "I keep getting older, but they all stay the same"? It's BS. When I was in college, college students were much older, and as I age, they get younger and younger.

Yeah. i wouldn't limit it to college age. Most of those guys can't even properly grow facial hair, but try anyway, so that they can appear to be a 'man.'

I don't get the super-skinny jeans the kids are wearing these days, not at all

bigvic said:

girls wearing them are ok. Guys? No, just no. 99% of the girls i know say they shouldn't be wearing them either.

Hungry said:
bigvic said:

girls wearing them are ok. Guys? No, just no. 99% of the girls i know say they shouldn't be wearing them either.

Dang! I just made that the post for which I become a 'full member?'

seems like a waste...

Back