Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

2023 NFL Draft

A proactive GM that has not improved the defense. I guess he has patience there..

He has improved the defense. Hutchinson, Houston, Mcneil, Paschal, Cominsky, Harris/Okwara, Rodriguez, Elliot, Jacobs and set himself up to complete it this offseason. Past gm messed up on Okudah and Harris but they even made Harris work at nickel

20.2 ppg final 10 games. Young defense improved once he got normal health

He has improved the defense. Hutchinson, Houston, Mcneil, Paschal, Cominsky, Harris/Okwara, Rodriguez, Elliot, Jacobs and set himself up to complete it this offseason. Past gm messed up on Okudah and Harris but they even made Harris work at nickel

20.2 ppg final 10 games. Young defense improved once he got normal health

Greg Oden was a top center for my Blazers in his 2nd year if you look at his per 48 stats.

Last edited:
Greg Oden was a top center for my Blazers in his 2nd year if you look at his per 48 stats.

Holmes going to continue to add defensive talent without odens bum knees

Improving defense to become a good defense with our good special teams and top 5 offense

The one name we haven?t talked about. What do we do if Anthony Richardson is on the board at #6?! Would there be cheers or boos on this board if that was our pick?

I think most would boo

He better work out but Goff would still be the 2023 QB, maybe 2024 too.

Pros
Supposedly really good backup QB depth behind Goff then even though a rookie but a very talented rookie
Athleticism to use (specific packages for him)
Has time to develop not right into the fire and ruin him/ruin his confidence because we don't need him for 2023 due to Goff
Only one first rounder used on a future QB, instead of trading up in 2023 or 2024 and using multiple 1sts. So yes hurts the defense not using pick 6 but now have 2-3 other 1st rounders to use on defense

Cons
Waste pick 6 when could have helped the defense (but still can build the future defense the rest of the draft)
Goff replaced in 2024 if he does well in 2023 forcing Richardson on us and taking a step back if he struggles with inexperience/accuracy
Higher bust potential than Young or Stroud (TBD on 2024 QB bust potential)

If Holmes thinks Richardson will be a good QB and worth pick 6, he could take him due to the above pros. Holmes and the scouts and coaches will all believe in Richardson to be the future of course. Taking a swing but still have Goff to mitigate the risk of the swing

Same applies to Levis but he seems to be falling. Athletic but less athletic but maybe a better current passer than Richardson. Can Richardson or Levis be the future. Time will tell.

Last edited:
If I were a Lions fan, I would be crossing my fingers that someone trades up to #3 and takes him.

Anthony Richardson is so intriguing. His size and physical gifts almost guarantee that if his arm isn't accurate one game, he can still move the ball with his legs or threat of his legs. He seems to be a hard worker and a team player (unless there's something I've never heard of yet), and being only 21 (turning 21 in may), the kid has a lot of room to grow. If he ever becomes even a decent passer, he'll be a top 3 QB his whole career.

I don't want QB because Goff seems to be very popular on the team and played well last year. That said, if we take Richardson, i would be excited. Sucks for defense, but the potential reward is insane.

On one of the woodward shows, the guys said there is a rumor and, if you trust them, they said they have confirmation that the lions talked to tennessee about jeffery simmons and #11 for the #6 pick. Simmons is a top 4 DT in the league and would need a new contract, but this would be exciting. There is apparently mutual interest because the titans would be able to move up to 3 easier with our 6 and simmons wants out.

My thinking is to take simmons and 11, then send 11 and 18 (maybe add a 2nd or 3rd) and trade up to 4 or 5 and take Will Anderson Jr.

Imagine getting a top 4 DT in the league and pairing him with will anderson, hutchinson, alim, and Houston rotating in and out. Our DL is instantly one of the best and youngest in the league.

We'd still have at least one or two 2nd rounders left to fill in some holes for depth.

I would love that trade and would certainly pay Simmons top DT money

Wouldn't mind staying at 11 and 18 too. Witherspoon/Gonzalez and Branch. Secondary all set for the future too even if CGJ and Moseley/Okudah/Harris leave next year. Round 2 and 3 all offense (WR, RG/RT backup, TE) unless you like a LB mid to late 2nd.

I would love that trade and would certainly pay Simmons top DT money

Wouldn't mind staying at 11 and 18 too. Witherspoon/Gonzalez and Branch. Secondary all set for the future too even if CGJ and Moseley/Okudah/Harris leave next year. Round 2 and 3 all offense (WR, RG/RT backup, TE) unless you like a LB mid to late 2nd.

That would probably be the best case scenario for the Lions. Get out of #6 and still get the impact DT they need.

I would stay at 11 & 18. So many different directions you could go. You could go the 2 DBs which would be a good combo. Or, go a totally different direction.

11 Jaxon Smith Njigba
18 DB or Bijan Robinson

St Brown, JSN, & the speed of Williams would be very difficult to defend.

That would probably be the best case scenario for the Lions. Get out of #6 and still get the impact DT they need.

I would stay at 11 & 18. So many different directions you could go. You could go the 2 DBs which would be a good combo. Or, go a totally different direction.

11 Jaxon Smith Njigba
18 DB or Bijan Robinson

St Brown, JSN, & the speed of Williams would be very difficult to defend.

True for the WR core. It would be a fun unit to watch. I'm not as sold on Bijan as some others. To me, he looks slow out of his cuts and puts a lot of impact on his knees when he does. The slowness of his cuts won't work in the nfl. I worry about that and knee injuries with him. To me, he should be a day 2 draft pick. I'd rather take Jahmyr Gibbs, even at 18.

Take Smith-Njigba and Gibbs and this team's offense is set for 4 years+. I'd prefer defense, but if we're going hypothetical trade for Simmons, I woulr 100% be hyped about that 1st round.

True for the WR core. It would be a fun unit to watch. I'm not as sold on Bijan as some others. To me, he looks slow out of his cuts and puts a lot of impact on his knees when he does. The slowness of his cuts won't work in the nfl. I worry about that and knee injuries with him. To me, he should be a day 2 draft pick. I'd rather take Jahmyr Gibbs, even at 18.

Take Smith-Njigba and Gibbs and this team's offense is set for 4 years+. I'd prefer defense, but if we're going hypothetical trade for Simmons, I woulr 100% be hyped about that 1st round.

I am one that would never want to waste a first on a RB, but what I have heard is Robinson is one of the best to come out in years. Personally, I wouldn't draft a RB in the first.

I am one that would never want to waste a first on a RB, but what I have heard is Robinson is one of the best to come out in years. Personally, I wouldn't draft a RB in the first.

If he is BPA over others at 18, it could warrant it. But also depends on how you feel about day 2 RBs talent in this draft and 2 LBs and DBs and WRs and TEs and what we pick at 6.

3.5 million per is what pick 18 gets (see Traylon Burks contract). Would put him at 20th for RB average (tied with Vikings backup Alexander Mattison) in the league and you may be getting a top 5 back for that price. Pick 48 is 1.8 million average. So not a huge cap factor fromp pick 18 to pick 48 for a RB.

Swift would be gone next year and wouldn't get a 2nd contract from the Lions is a pro as it actually saves money spent there. And he will be getting much more than 3.5 million per. Montgomery just got 6 per. But Swift would be gone if we got a Round 2 replacement too.

Last edited:
If he is BPA over others at 18, it could warrant it. But also depends on how you feel about day 2 RBs talent in this draft and 2 LBs and DBs and WRs and TEs and what we pick at 6.

3.5 million per is what pick 18 gets (see Traylon Burks contract). Would put him at 20th for RB average (tied with Vikings backup Alexander Mattison) in the league and you may be getting a top 5 back for that price. Pick 48 is 1.8 million average. So not a huge cap factor fromp pick 18 to pick 48 for a RB.

Swift would be gone next year and wouldn't get a 2nd contract from the Lions is a pro as it actually saves money spent there. And he will be getting much more than 3.5 million per. Montgomery just got 6 per. But Swift would be gone if we got a Round 2 replacement too.

If we?re looking for an elusive player to open up the offense, the best playmaker in the NFL is available in LAMAR JACKSON!

If we?re looking for an elusive player to open up the offense, the best playmaker in the NFL is available in LAMAR JACKSON!

unfortunately, he's a QB that isn't a very good thrower of the ball.

I want the price tag of one 1st round pick and not 45 million per guaranteed. And an actual RB at 3.5 million per.

Id love that trade... I'm hating pick 6 more and more lol

Simmons
11 Nolan Smith or Myles Murphy DE
18 Quentin Johnston WR
48 Antonio Johnson S
55 Luke Musgrave TE

Last edited:
Id love that trade... I'm hating pick 6 more and more lol

Simmons
11 Nolan Smith or Myles Murphy DE
18 Quentin Johnston WR
48 Antonio Johnson S
55 Luke Musgrave TE

I heard that Smith is way over rated because he had great numbers at the combine. A 2nd round talent but will be in the first because he ran a 4.4 40

I like JSN much more than QJ. I think JSN will be the best WR in this draft.

Back